In February 2014, Alvogen announced the launch of Inflectra (infliximab) into Central and Eastern Europe. Inflectra is a biosimilar medicine to the reference medicinal product, Remicade, and is the first monoclonal antibody to be approved through the European Medicines Agency (EMA) biosimilars regulatory pathway. Remicade recorded European sales of over USD 2 billion in 2012.
So the biosimilar approvals are coming, but will physicians prescribe them? To find out, ISR asked 348 board-certified physicians across Spain, Italy, France, and Germany what they thought about prescribing biosimilar products.
- European physicians’ familiarity with biologic and biosimilar medicines
- Physician attitudes toward clinical development requirements for biosimilar medicines
- Physician views on pharmacy-level substitutions
- Importance of medication cost when prescribing
- Impact biosimilar pricing has on prescribing recommendations
- Physician concern with safety and efficacy of biosimilar products
- Current and future prescribing behavior for biosimilar medicines
348 European physicians were surveyed for this report on the biosimilar landscape in France (N=87), Spain (N=87), Germany (N=87), and Italy (N=87).
To qualify to take this survey, physicians had to pass several screening criteria:
- Had to currently prescribe medications to patients
- Had to be board certified in one of the following therapeutic areas:
- Hematology oncology
ISR understands that you’re looking for confidence in your market research. With ISR, you’ll consistently receive
- Focused Domain Expertise — We’ve operated in pharmaceuticals for over 15 years and because it’s our sole focus, our domain expertise brings value to the work that “generalist” researchers can’t deliver.
- Genuine Research Expertise — Our market research experience has developed over 20 years in many dynamic industries. We capture appropriate sample sizes, given the research objectives, and we use appropriately sophisticated statistics to uncover everything that’s real and to give you confidence in your decisions. Read our Six Questions to Ask About Your Market Research to learn more about why our industry expertise sets us apart.
- Transparency — If you’re like many, you’ve been disappointed more than once by research providers who fail to live up to their promises, providing you with their “professional judgment” in place of sound data; and suspect contacts instead of real decision-makers. We deliver the beliefs, attitudes, and intentions of people who matter – and we’ll prove it by showing you the titles of your respondents.
For additional questions about any of ISR’s reports or custom research services, please contact us at info@ISRreports.com.