Overall, 2020 was not a horrible year for CROs. Yes, we predicted an overall downturn in the market and we are sticking by that based mainly on the hypothesis that the large CROs fared better than the smaller ones. What do the financial numbers tell us? They tell us proposals, RFPs, and contracting were strong in 2020, as witnessed by the impressive growth in backlog. The numbers also tell us that the larger CROs struggled a bit turning the backlog into revenue, which is highly understandable given how much of the healthcare system was under attack in 2020. If first quarter 2021 numbers are any indication, it looks like the future is quite positive for the larger CROs as they work through record-level backlog levels.
Our report provides quantitative analysis into the constant question, “What is the size of the CRO market?” The data within are segmented by phase, geography and service line in order to generate a full picture of the clinical development services market.
We use both data gathered through our syndicated primary market research and publicly available databases to generate this report.
- Estimated R&D expenditures through 2025
- Projected spending on development, Phase I-IV development, and outsourced Phase I-IV development through 2025, segmented by sponsor type:
- Large pharma – large molecule
- Large pharma – small molecule
- Non-large pharma – large molecule
- Non-large pharma – small molecule
- Spending on CRO services segmented by:
- Phase I-IV
- Overall Market Size and Growth
- 2021 Geographic Assessment
- 2021 Service-line Assessment
- 2021 Development Phase I-IV Assessment
- 2020-2025 CRO Market Model
- 2021 Public CRO Market Share
ISR understands that you’re looking for confidence in your market research. With ISR, you’ll consistently receive
- Focused Domain Expertise — We’ve operated in pharmaceuticals for over 15 years and because it’s our sole focus, our domain expertise brings value to the work that “generalist” researchers can’t deliver.
- Genuine Research Expertise — Our market research experience has developed over 20 years in many dynamic industries. We capture appropriate sample sizes, given the research objectives, and we use appropriately sophisticated statistics to uncover everything that’s real and to give you confidence in your decisions. Read our Six Questions to Ask About Your Market Research to learn more about why our industry expertise sets us apart.
- Transparency — If you’re like many, you’ve been disappointed more than once by research providers who fail to live up to their promises, providing you with their “professional judgment” in place of sound data; and suspect contacts instead of real decision-makers. We deliver the beliefs, attitudes, and intentions of people who matter – and we’ll prove it by showing you the titles of your respondents.
For additional questions about any of ISR’s reports or custom research services, please contact us at info@ISRreports.com.
Pricing & Ordering
Table of Contents
Overall Market Size and Growth
Top-Down Approach to Market Size
R&D Sources and Distribution
Table 1: R&D Expenditures by Segment (2020-2025)
Model Adjustments – From R&D to CRO Market Size
Table 2: Development as a Percent of R&D by Segment (2021)
Table 3: Development Expenditures by Segment (2020-2025)
Phase I-IV Development Spending
Table 4: Ph I-IV Development as a Percent of Development by Segment (2021)
Table 5: Ph I-IV Development Expenditures by Segment (2020-2025)
Outsourced Phase I-IV Development Spending
Table 6: Outsourced Ph I-IV Development as a Percent of Development by Segment (2020-2025)
Table 7: Outsourced Ph I-IV Development Expenditures by Segment (2020-2025)
2021 Full Model Analysis
2021 Geographic Assessment
Table 8: 2021 Geographic Distribution (%) of the CRO Market Size
Table 9: 2021 Geographic Distribution ($B) of the CRO Market Size
2021 Service-Line Assessment
Table 10: 2021 Service-Line Distribution (%) of the CRO Market Size
Table 11: 2021 Service-Line Distribution ($B) of the CRO Market Size
2021 Development Phase I-IV Assessment
Table 12: 2021 Development Phase Distribution (%) of the CRO Market Size
Table 13: 2021 Development Phase Distribution ($B) of the CRO Market Size
2020-2025 CRO Market Model
2018 Public CRO Market Share
Table 14: 2018 Public CRO Market Shares